Kids’ bedrooms should be fun and creative to spark little imaginations and a dinosaur themed bedroom transports a child back to prehistoric times when these great creatures roamed the earth.
Dinosaur bedrooms don’t have to be a scary option for kids afraid of the dark as there are so many playful and captivating dinosaur bedding sets, coordinating accessories, and brightly colored wall decals with friendly dinosaurs.
There’s a wide variety of dinosaur theme bedding that includes matching quilts, duvet covers and sheet sets that are covered with triceratops, t-rex, and brachiosaurus that will really set of the room’s dinosaur theme. Adorable dinosaur pillows instantly complete the look.
Plush dinosaur toys, dinosaur print sheets, as well as rugs and accessories enhance the overall appeal of the room.
Although many designers feel that applying color to the walls is the first step that should be taken, I highly recommend purchasing the bedding first. I always use the color in the bedding for inspiration for the color to be painted on the walls.
With dinosaur bedding, there are many options available. There are dinosaur comforter sets and quilts in a diverse range of colors. Most often the bedding is in blue, green or tan, and there are some variations of dinosaur bedding in earth tone colors. This bedding usually depicts images of various types of dinosaurs as well as jungle habitat.
Two approaches that can be taken are purchasing bedding that does depict dinosaurs, or you can use a solid comforter with throw cushions that have dinosaurs on them. Either works well.
Depending upon the colors in the bedding, typically you can go with shades of blue, green, or a tan color. I find that going with a neutral color, such as tan, can make it easier to change the design of the room at a later date. Wall borders, throw pillows, wall art and bedding can be added to create vibrant splashes of color.
Kids Dinosaur Bedroom Ideas:
1. Once the walls are painted, a dinosaur theme wallpaper border can be added. Other options include dinosaur wall stencils, murals, or hand-painted jungle scenes with prehistoric-looking plants. Amidst the large foliage, T-Rex, flying Pterodactyls and Triceratops can be added.
For those unable to paint, you can also purchase stick on wall decals or wallpaper murals. A creative idea is to paint or apply a purchased mural of dinosaur scene and add a wood frame around it to depict a window. Silk jungle vines can be purchased from craft stores and hung from the ceilings.
2. Dinosaur stuffed animals can be placed throughout the room, as well as pillows on the bed or floor. There are many accessories available for this theme, such as stackable dinosaur bins, dino lighting fixtures and lamps, stools, dinosaur headboards, bedding, sheets and picture frames.
3. There is also a wide range of dinosaur artwork and prints available for a kids dinosaur bedroom, or it can be very simple to create your own. You can cut out images from magazines or books, place them in frames and hang them on the wall or arrange in small groups on dressers and bookcases.
There are many photo stock images that can be purchased for a minimal price online. Artists create ‘vector’ images of all sorts of dinosaurs that can be printed and framed. If you are familiar with Adobe Photoshop or similar program, you can add your child’s name to the image, adjust colors, combine several images etc.
4. Dinosaur footprints can be stamped across the walls. I have viewed dinosaur theme bedrooms where parents have made a project with their children using paper mache. They make large bone shapes using wads of newspaper, and paper mache on top of the form. The dried form is painted a bone white color.
5. Many of the dinosaur theme bedding sets, also have coordinating sheets, curtains as well as adorable dinosaur area rugs. Dressers and bookshelves are a great place to display molded plastic dinosaur figures.
Plants can be added throughout the room to create a jungle effect. Other items that can be added are dinosaur skeleton models, an archeologist’s hat, books and magazines. Do you have a dinosaur museum close by? This would be a great place for a few family photos for the room. Or hang a chalkboard with dinosaur magnets.
6. Add a touch of prehistoric adventure to their sleep space with dinosaur terrarium. Simply fill a terrarium with a layer of small stones, soil and add tropical plants and dinosaur figures.
I hope you have found these tips helpful. Have fun creating your kids dinosaur bedroom!
Written by the Editor & Interior Designer for Buyer Select: Tracy Svendsen